St. Mark’s Church of England Primary School

Oxenholme Lane, Natland, Kendal, Cumbria LA9 7QH.    Phone: 015395 60719.    email: (click on) admin[at]st-marks.cumbria.sch.uk

Headteacher:

Mr. Peter Barfoot


Deputy:

Mrs. June Grant


School Business Manager:

Mrs. Mary Illingworth



Terms of Website Use     Privacy Policy     Privacy Notice     Cookies     Disclaimer     Pupil Photos     Copyright

Contact Us Contact Us

Website designed and maintained by Designs at Beck Cottage

(Click each logo to visit each site)

Home School Teaching &  Learning Parents Community &  Partnerships

Home    School    News     Values    Staff    Children     Governing Body    Policies     Information    Teaching/Learning

Parents      P.T.A      MOSAICS      St. Mark’s Church      Pre- School      Children’s Services      QKTSA      CASL

FIND        US

St. Mark’s

Prospectus



Information

School Direct

Kendal Primary Partnership

Welcome to our School . . .

Voluntary Aided

St Mark’s is a Voluntary Aided Church of England Primary School (4-11).

A voluntary aided school is one which retains a degree of autonomy from the local authority and in which the Governing Body is:


School Building and Grounds

The school comprises 7 classrooms, a small room for meetings and group work, a large hall, a catering kitchen, a smaller curriculum kitchen, a library, a large staffroom, offices for the School Buisness manager, Headteacher and Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator (SENDCo) all set in generous grounds which include an outside classroom and garden known as the ‘Hidden Haven’. We are able to grow a wide range of vegetables and soft fruits in eight raised beds and a purpose built fruit cage. A fire pit, surrounded by log seats, enables groups to cook and eat outside.

Since June 2018 we have hosted the Natland and Oxenholme Pre-School in the main school building. The Pre-School is managed independently from the school and is separately registered with Ofsted. The Pre-School offers 30 hours of provision for 2 to 4 year olds each week and there are up to 21 places available in each session. The Pre-School children are able to use many of the school facilities including the main hall for PE, the ‘Hidden Haven’ for forest schools work, the EYFS outside area and the school field and playground.

In late Autumn 2018 a dedicated outside area will be made available to the Pre-School directly outside their classroom base.

The village environs, St Mark’s Church and a piece of local woodland known as ‘Larkrigg Spring’ are used regularly as alternative spaces for learning outside the classroom.



A Brief History

Our School has occupied its present building since 1967 with additions in 1972, 1989 and 1994. It is believed to be the fourth school building in the village. Records show the existence of a school in 1881, 1825 and possibly further back to the 17th century.

In 2003 a new school hall was added along with other alterations giving an additional classroom and, more recently, a new corridor linking the two main sections of the school. In 2006 a seventh classroom was established by re-working existing rooms. The library is now central to the school.  A dedicated outside area for the younger children was created in 2007 as an extension to their classrooms. More recent work has included re-roofing, replacement of the main heating boilers, toilet refurbishment  and an extension to the car park. In 2014 new office space and a new school entrance were added.

A new classroom was added in 2016 reflecting the need for more school places, as a large number of new houses have been built in the catchment area. Alterations were made to some existing classrooms to ensure that each teaching space can accommodate 30 children comfortably. In the Autumn of 2018, phase 1 of a whole school heating replacement and upgrade project was completed. The second phase is planned for the Summer of 2019.


Times of the School Day

School Uniform

Term Dates